Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Past

Where is the god who can compare with you - wiping the slate clean of guilt, turning a blind eye, a deaf ear, to the past sins of your purged and precious people? You don't nurse your anger and don't stay angry for long, for mercy is your specialty. That's what you love most. And compassion is on its way to us. You'll stamp our your wrongdoing. You'll sink our sins to the bottom of the ocean. You'll stay true to your word to Father Jacob and continue the compassion you showed to Grandfather Abraham - everything you promised our ancestors from a long time ago. - Micah 7:18-20
How do you view your past? The author notes that sometimes we look at our past as more of a "book to be locked away than a chapter to be included in our life story." When I think of my past I immediately think of my college days and then a few childhood memories. I know that there is so much more to my life but those times must have molded me the most. There are events at both those times in my life (childhood and college) that I am proud of and others that I'm not so proud of... I think the most important thing about my past is that I learned from it and have come to be a stronger, more faith-filled woman. As the reflection mentioned, the bible tells us to press on and forget what lies behind us - rather keep our eyes fixated on having a home in heaven.
In also thinking about my past, I must say that I love learning about the past of my family. I have had many cherished conversations with my grandmother about her past and her family memories. She has much to tell as she has 11 siblings and 7 children (whenever I feel overwhelmed with two kiddos I ask myself how she did it). She has told me stories of her childhood, good times with her cousins, and fond memories of raising her children and now cherishes spending time with her grandchildren and great grandchildren. What's admirable about my grandmother and godmother, who we call Memere, is that through it all she has remainded steadfast in her faith and has attended weekly mass for as long as I can remember.
She is a beautiful example of how to remember your past, share those memories (both good and bad), and keep moving forward toward the good Lord and the home of heaven... although being a young 72 I am hopeful that she has a good 30 years let with us here. I thank her for contributing amazing memories to my past... although long gone are the days of our shopping trips (and getting lost) and ice cream sundaes (right before dinner) the memories of our past are always alive in my heart. Now we spend time together with my children so they too will have a past filled with memories of their great grandmother.
If you have a minute, please share with us a great story from your past...

1 comment:

  1. Jennifer, what perfect timing! I just got home from visiting my grandmother. We call her Big Mama...I know, it is a Southern thing. She was passing all of her quilting supplies along to me. She is even giving me her mother's sewing machine. I doubt it will work, but what an amazing piece of my family history I will have! Some of my favorite memories are watching my grandmother and her friends gather to make quilts. It is a lost art that I am hoping to learn. I wish I had begun sooner so Big Mama could have been a more hands-on teacher. She has Parkinson’s now and has given up her love of sewing.

    She and Parker had a great time today, though. He showed off his trucks and sang “Jesus Loves Me” while she sent him toward her stash of trucks that have been used by us all through the years. I feel blessed to tears right now that my sweet boy gets to feel the love that I have had for so many years. If our new baby is a girl, her name will be Elizabeth Evelyn. Elizabeth was my Nannie’s name who passed on about 10 years ago and Big Mama’s name is Mattie Evelyn. I will have no clue what to do with a little girl, but would be so happy to honor two of the most amazing women with her name.

    Take a trip soon to visit the people who have shaped you. I smiled all the way home…

    ReplyDelete